The statue of Holy Jesus Christ in Rio de Janeiro is known as Christ the Redeemer and it is one of the new wonders of the world. The Statue was created by French sculptor Paul Landowski and was being erected by the Brazilian engineer Heitor da Silva Costa in the period of 1922 and 1931. It is 38 meters tall including the pedestals and the arm of the statue stretches about 28 meters wide. It is an iconic statue weighing around 635 metric ton and it is located at the top of Corcovado Mountain.
The proposal for a landmark statue on the mountain was made in 1920, by the Catholic Circle of Rio. The group organized an event called Semana do Monumento to collect donations. Brazilian Catholics contributed hugely in the event and thus the statue of Christ the Redeemer with open arms, a symbol of peace came into the being. The construction of the statue took whole nine years to be completed and the monument was open to the public on Oct.12, 1931.
In 1990, restoration work was conducted through an agreement among several organizations including the government of Rio de Janeiro. In the year 2003, a set of escalators and walkways were installed to facilitate access to the platform surrounding the statue. In October 2006, on the statue’s 75th anniversary a chapel was constructed after the patron saint ‘Our Lady of the Apparition which allows weddings to take place there.
In 2010, restoration of the statue was done. The statue was washed and the monument was made waterproof. The restoration involved more than hundred people and used more than 60,000 pieces of stone taken used as in the original statue. In the same year the statue was illuminated with yellow and green lights in support of its home team for its participation in 2010 FIFA World Cup. The statue needs regular renovation work due to its exposure to the strong winds and lightning. As and when needed the maintenance work is carried on by the Brazilian government because the statue is a symbol of peace and it is known worldwide as the mark of Rio de Janeiro.